Christmas Tree Sampler Quilt
Make the Christmas Tree Sampler Quilt as a wall hanging to decorate the house for the holidays or as a throw quilt for snuggling on chilly winter nights. This project features festive Christmas quilt fabric and Christmas theme appliques. With simple piecing and a few appliques, this small Christmas quilt pattern comes together in just a couple days.
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size38 inches wide x 38 inches long
Time to CompleteWeekend project
Primary TechniquePieced & Appliqued
Note: This pattern uses fabrics from the Christmas Ornaments collection by Hallmark from FreeSpirit. Fabrics are coded in materials list.
- 1 ¼ yd. HM71 in grey for outside borders
- ¾ yd. HM72 in grey for center background
- 1/3 yd. S14 in sky for block background, ornament & dots
- 1/3 yd. S01 in pink for block background
- 1/3 yd. S03 in fuchsia for binding & ornament ribbon
- 1/3 yd. S21 in olive for tree
- ¼ yd. S07 in yellow for star
- ¼ yd. HM72 in blue for ornament
- ¼ yd. HM72 in red for ornament
- 1 ¼ yd. HM73 in green for backing
- 45” x 45” batting
- 1 yd. Heat’N Bond Lite
- Applique Patterns
- Cut a square 25 ½” x 25 ½” for the quilt center.
- Outside border fabrics are directional, so cut 2 strips 6 ½” x width of fabric and then trim to 6 ½”x 38”. These will be the top and bottom borders.
- From the remainder of the fabric, cut 2 strips lengthwise – 6 ½”x 25 ½”. These will be outside border sides.
- Cut 4 strips 2 ½”x width of fabric for binding.
- Cut 2 squares of solids for the block backgrounds – 10” x 20”.
- Cut 1” strips of Heat’N Bond Lite and press on the outside edges of the wrong sides.
- Sew side borders to the center square. Then sew on top and bottom borders.
- Trace all patterns for fusible appliqué onto the paper side of the Heat’N Bond Lite. Press Heat'N Bond to the wrong side of the desired fabrics and cut out.
- Wavy cut the outside edges of the solid block background pieces, then remove paper before placement. Peel paper from cut out designs and place on background blocks per quilt photos.
- Sandwich top, batting & backing and quilt as desired. Bind & enjoy!!
Read NextQuilted DIY Christmas Ornaments