How to Applique a T-shirt
Making custom applique shirts is a simple process with results that look store-bought! This tutorial will show you how to applique a t-shirt using fusible webbing. Learning how to make iron on appliques will keep the fabric lying flat as you sew.
Project TypeLearn a Technique
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- Plain t-shirt
- Small scraps of fabric for applique
- Small piece of iron-on adhesive (fusible webbing) for the applique - use the light kind
- Flower pattern (if using applique in model)
- Small button (if using the flower pattern)
- Matching thread
- Prepare your materials: Print and cut out your pattern. Trace your shapes onto the paper side of your iron-on adhesive, then cut them out. If using the same flower pattern, cut out two leaves.
- Following the manufacturer's instructions, iron on your shapes to the wrong side of your fabrics. Once cooled, cut out the fabric shapes, then peel off the paper backing.
- Place the applique in your desired position on the t-shirt. Once you are happy with your design, fuse (iron on) your applique. Let cool.
- For more durability, sew the applique all around using a narrow zigzag stitch.
- Neatly sew on the button at the center of the flower, if using flower pattern.
Read NextQuilt Applique Techniques