DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- see all comments
"MADE ONE SIMILAR ALL DIFFERENT DIRETIONS BUT TURNED OUT INTERESTING, I THINK."
"this does not ppear to be a free pattern anymore ??"
Beginners Pinwheel Table Runner Quilt-Along: Piecing
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Click here to view your Quilt Basket.
Quilt along with us and learn how to make your very first quilt project! In this video series, Christian Tamez will teach us how to make a pinwheel quilt table runner. This portion of the quilt-along includes instructions for piecing the top of the table runner. Watch the video below to see how Christian puts together the quilt top.
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size14 inches wide x 38 inches long
Time to CompleteA week or two
Materials for this project are listed in the Introduction to the quilt-along.
For this part of the quilt-along, I have installed in my machine the 1/4-inch guide foot and a size 75 quilting needle.
Cutting directions and tips for choosing fabrics are outline in the Introduction to the quilt-along.
Create your pinwheel blocks:
- Take one of each color triangle and put them right sides together. Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance along the long side of the triangle. Press open your seam allowance.
- Repeat for all triangles. You will now have 12 squares.
- Take 4 of the squares and arrange them into a pinwheel pattern.
- Take 2 of the squares from the pattern you have just laid out and, keeping them in pattern, place them right sides together. Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance along the middle seam, so that when opened you will keep the pinwheel pattern.
- Repeat for the other 2 squares in the pinwheel pattern.
- Take the two resulting pieces, place them right sides together, and sew with a 1/4" seam allowance so that when pressed open, you will have a pinwheel design. Press open seam allowances.
- Repeat for the remaining 8 squares to create a total of 3 pinwheel blocks.
Attach the borders:
- Take 2 of the Fabric A strips that measure 2" x 7-7/8" and place them right sides together on opposite sides of one of your pinwheels blocks. Sew along the edge with a 1/4" seam allowance. Press open seam allowance.
- Repeat for the other 2 pinwheel blocks.
- Take 2 of the Fabric A strips that measure 2" x 10-3/4" and place right sides together along the other edges of the pinwheel. Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance. Press open seam allowance.
- Repeat for the other two pinwheel blocks
Put the blocks together:
- Take 2 of the remaining strips of Fabric D that measure 2" x 10-3/4" and place them right sides together along opposite sides of one of the bordered pinwheel blocks. Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance. Press open seam allowance.
- Take a second pinwheel block and place it right sides together along the edge of one of the fabric strips already attached to the first pinwheel block. Sew with 1/4" seam allowance. Press open seam allowance.
- Repeat for the third pinwheel block.
- Take the last Fabric D strip that measures 2" x 10-3/4" and lay it right sides together along the edge of the third pinwheel block. Sew with 1/4" seam allowance. Press open seam allowance.
Finish the border:
- Take the 2 pieces of Fabric D that measure 2" x by 37-1/4" and place them right sides together along either side of the pinwheel blocks.
- Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance.
- Press open seam allowance.
You’ve just created the top to your table runner! Post your photos in the FaveQuilts Flickr group using the tag #beginnersquiltalong to share your progress with other participants!
Read NextFour Square Fabric Coaster
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Project of the Day
Tea Towel Quilt Block Tutorial
Dress up your homemade baked goods with the Tea Towel Quilt Block Tutorial. Whether you're bringing food to a party or giving it as a… Continue reading: "Tea Towel Quilt Block Tutorial"
- Four Square Fabric Coaster
- Breakfast Bargello Placemat
- 20 Minute Bandana Table Runner
- Geranium Table Topper
- Roasted Coffee Table Runner Tutorial
- Peaks and Valleys Table Runner
- Charm Pack Modern Table Runner
- 30+ Free Table Runner & Table Topper Quilt Patterns
- Jewel Table Runner Tutorial
- Green With Envy Table Runner
Something worth saving?
- SAVE all your favorite patterns
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Big Scraps Quilt Block
- How To Make Flying Geese (4 At A Time Method)
- Easy Big Star Quilt Block
- Charleston Beginner Pinwheel Quilt Pattern
- Tiptoe Through the Tulips Free Quilt Block Pattern
- Sawtooth Star Quilt Block
- Easy Fat Quarter Quilt
- Scrap Bursts Quilt Block
- Quilted Patchwork Flower Pillow Pattern
- Easy Quilt Block For 2.5" Strips & Squares
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns