"17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt" eBook
By: Kathryn Wright, Editor of FaveQuilts.com
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Free Quilting Tutorials and Techniques from FaveQuilts: 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt eBook
Every quilter has had to take a big step by learning how to make their first beginner quilt pattern. They’ve used quilting tutorials, learned from friends or family members, or found outside rsources to help them. As a site dedicated to all things quilting, we wanted to give both beginner and advanced quilters a helpful guide, the "17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt" eBook. Not only do we have some of the top techniques and quilting tutorials from our favorite designers, but also some helpful guides to everything from choosing fabric to cleaning your quilts that both beginner and advanced quilters will appreciate.
We get emails and comments all across our site from readers looking for suggestions on how to get their feet wet. There’s no better way for quilters to do that than from learning from the best! Not only does this eBook offer some essential beginner basics when it comes to learning how to quilt, but also detailed work that will take your quilting to the next level. Any quilter can agree that there’s more than one way to bind a quilt, stitch an appliqué quilt design, or even baste their quilt sandwich. Our editors wanted to make sure we gathered together tutorials and tips of all kinds so as many quilters as possible could benefit and learn.
Download 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt for free today!
Our eBook starts off with some helpful quilting tutorials related to preparation. We wanted 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt to give quilters a well-rounded look at different areas of the quilting process, so we first focused on your fabric and your supplies. These guides serve to provide readers with different approaches they can take to their quilt prep.
If it’s your first time working on a beginner quilt pattern, or you’re a sewist looking to transition into a new type of craft, we highly recommend “Getting to Know Your Sewing Machine” (pg. 9). It’s an incredibly helpful step-by-step breakdown of how you can familiarize yourself with your machine and prepare it for quilting by adjusting your settings and inserting your thread properly. There’s also the amazing guide to “Tips for Buying and Selecting Fabric” (pg. 5) which is all about encouraging quilters to look at all of their options.
Speaking of fabric, it’s one thing we know quilters don’t want to waste. To make sure you can create clean, skillful cuts for all of your free quilt patterns, there are also helpful quilting tutorials on rotary cutting. Practice with versatile half square triangle quilt patterns and the quick tutorial on “Squaring Your Half Square Triangles” (pg. 17). We’ve also provided a handy rotary cutting guide about “Left Handed Rotary Cutting” (pg. 20) to ensure that every quilter out there can make the most of their materials.
After preparing your materials, you can take another look inside 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt for some useful tutorials on machine quilting and hand quilting. No matter what your skill level is, you can benefit from the quick list of “Tips for Trouble Free Straight Line Quilting” (pg. 23), which will help you make sure all of your quilt patterns look their best. When you’re ready to move onto more complicated techniques, try out the examples included in the “Introduction to Free Motion Quilting” (pg. 26). Not only does it have a great list of techniques you can try, but it also includes plenty of designs you can copy (or make your own!).
Those looking to take a break from sitting at their sewing machine will enjoy “Basic Quilting by Hand” (pg. 31). You can grab some fabric scraps and starting practicing different ways to put your quilt patterns together. It’ll be perfect for a tied baby quilt pattern or a small patchwork quilt project.
We don’t think 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt would be anywhere near complete without giving quilters options for how to begin finishing their quilting patterns. There’s a lot of variety, and it can be very overwhelming to a new quilter, which makes this portion of our quilting for beginners eBook very important.
You’ll find two popular approaches to basting a quilt that are very different, but both effective. Thrifty quilters will get a lot out of reading about “Basting a Quilt with Homemade Spray Starch” (pg. 33), which includes a recipe for a non-toxic solution that you can make at home. If you’re more comfortable with securing your quilt before you finish it, you should try “Pin Basting Your Quilt” (pg. 37). This method won’t leave marks and you can easily smooth out your fabric as you go.
Whether you prefer quilt binding or quilt borders, our eBook has options for how to quilt both. When it comes to binding a quilt, we offer a basic “Single Fold Binding Tutorial” (pg. 40), as well as an intermediate level “Ice Cream Cone Binding Tutorial” (pg. 42), so quilters can begin working their way from adding basic binding to trying out more decorative quil binding patterns. A similar approach is taken to quilt borders, as those looking for beginner friendly border patterns can try “Making a Basic Border” (pg. 45), but will also discover how some of the impressive ways one can challenge themselves by learning “How to Sew Prairie Points” (pg. 49) or “How to Add a Flange to Quilts” (pg. 52). This section shows the consideration we took so that readers looking to learn how to quilt can begin with the basics, but have more complex designs available when they’re ready to increase their skill.
The last section in 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt focuses on how quilters can make some last minute touches to perfect their quilt patterns. One of the easiest ways to do so is through appliqué quilt patterns, and we’ve included two tutorials, “Dryer Sheet Applique” (pg. 55) and “Raw Edge Applique” (pg. 60) on how you can add them to your quilt. You can find a quicker option to adding to your free quilt patterns, and also learn about different stitches you can use to complement your quilt.
Finally, when it comes to the maintanence of your old quilt patterns, there’s the tutorial on “How to Clean Non-Washable Quilts” (pg. 65). It’ll only take a few minutes, but when it comes to preserving all of the quilt patterns you’ll be making, it’s a must-do!
With your free copy of the 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt, you can also subscribe to our Piecing It Together newsletter to become part of a helpful and friendly quilting community. In subscribing to the newsletter you will receive:
- Four weekly e-mails with free quilt patterns, tips, collection pages, videos and more.
- Chances to win quilting books and products in giveaways and contests.
- New FREE patterns made available to you throughout the year.
- Access to our free pattern library full of hundreds of free quilt patterns.
The opportunity to share ideas and help others in the quilting community.
No matter where you are in your quilting, these quilting tutorials and techniques for how to quilt can help broaden your skillset. Once you have downloaded the eBook and subscribed to our Piecing It Together newsletter, you will receive new free quilt patterns in your e-mail inbox every week! Join the FaveQuilts.com quilting community and gain access to hundreds of free quilt patterns and connect with quilters all over the country. Download this free eBook and check out FaveQuilts.com for tons of quilting inspiration!
Here's a preview of what's inside our eBook:
Images from other quilters
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Working with Minky Fabric
- "17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt" eBook
- Quilt As You Go: Joining the Blocks
- Rag Quilting Video Tutorial
- How To Select the Best Quilt Sizes to Fit Your Bed
- Quilt as You Go Video Tutorial
- How to Make a Quilt Pattern on the Computer
- Quilt As You Go: Strip Quilting Video Tutorial
- Tips and Tricks for PDF Patterns
- Sister's Choice Quilt Block Video Tutorial
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- American Quilting Traditions: 11 Free Quilt Designs, Quilt Blocks, and More Americana
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- The Best Free Quilt Patterns for Christmas: 10 Quilt Blocks, Christmas Ornaments to Make, and More
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Shaker Style Quilt Stand from Quilt Display Products
- Quilt Display Products
- Decorating Ideas for Rustic DIY Home Decor
- Colorful Churn Dash Quilt
- Ocean Ripples Table Topper
- Stacked Jelly Roll Quilt Pattern
- Make Your First Quilt: Super Easy Beginner Projects For Sure Success!
- Simple Beginner Quilts: Exciting Projects Take Your Skills to the Next Level!
- Patch Pals Collection: Turn Simple Squares into Adorable Little Quilts!
- Christmas Sparkle: Make Your Home Shine with a Touch of Embellishment!