15 Baby Rag Quilt Patterns
Looking for a quick project for your grandbaby? Don't miss these DIY rag quilts for beginner quilters!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
If you're new to quilting, rag quilts are your best friend. Easier to make than traditional quilt patterns, rag quilts are designed to be simple, quick to make, and super soft! FaveQuilts has compiled our list of easy baby rag quilt patterns so that you can find the perfect beginner quilting project to make for your grandbaby.
These DIY baby quilt tutorials show you how to make a rag quilt using cotton or flannel fabric, so that you can design a simple quilt that's soft and warm. We've even thrown in a few projects that use minky fabric, which your little one will love cuddling with. Create a thoughtful and snuggly gift for your next baby shower with these easy rag quilt patterns.
New to quilting? Be sure to check out our video tutorial on how to make a rag quilt!
*Please note: Similar to blankets, rag quilts should never be used in a crib with a newborn. They do make excellent play mats for tummy time, and can be used for older children.
Flannel Rag Quilt Tutorials for Beginners
Flannel makes an excellent choice for rag quilts, not only because of its warmth, but because it also creates a unique fraying effect that's a staple of classic rag quilts. If you're searching for a warm flannel quilt for your grandbaby, then be sure to check out these rag quilt tutorials!
Use up some leftover fabric and save some dough by trying this Magical Flannel Rag Baby Quilt Tutorial.
If you are not much of a perfectionist but want to learn how to make a soft, comfortable, and warm baby quilt, this may be a great option for you.
What makes this rag quilt in particular stand out is the impressive way the design incorporates the square in a square quilt pattern within the basic framework.
This particular rag quilt pattern can be made with flannel, and makes a great gift for expecting mamas and papas-to-be.
This adorable rag quilt uses pink and brown flannel squares in a concentric pattern for an adorable baby quilt.
Cotton Rag Quilt Tutorials
Cotton rag quilts are slightly lighter than their flannel counterparts, so they're great baby blankets for warmer weather. You can also create the classic frayed exposed seam using cotton fabric, similar to the frayed edge that appears in traditional flannel rag quilts. Pick a bundle of bright and fun prints, and design the perfect rag quilt for your grandbaby.
This rustic rag quilt is the perfect size to keep your baby warm while you push them in a stroller.
This simple DIY baby quilt pattern combines some beautiful stitching and a simple pattern to keep your baby warm.
Instead of choosing a conventional block pattern, make something soft and curvy using the absolutely adorable Apple of My Eye Raggedy Scallop Quilt pattern.
Whether you use charm pack patterns or old scrap fabrics, this is an interesting rag quilt pattern because the seams are on the outside of the quilt top rather than the inside.
Read up on this tutorial to learn how to add extra soft texture to this blanket by free motion quilting color-coordinated thread on the top of your rag quilt.
If you love cute rag quilts but want to make something a little more interesting than rag quilt squares, this tutorial is for you!
Design a soft and cuddly quilt for your newest grandbaby using warm, minky fabric with this rag quilt tutorial.
This is not your traditional rag quilt. This comes together really quickly and is a great project for beginners or for kids who are wanting to learn to sew a quilt.
New to quilting? Then be sure to download our free eBook of jelly roll quilt patterns! Jelly rolls are perfect for beginner quilters. How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
What types of projects would you like to see on FaveQuilts? Let us know below in the comments!
Read NextFat Quarter Palisades Quilt
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Project of the Day
If you want to make a cute quilted baby blanket for an upcoming shower, then follow this free tutorial to create a Super Fast and Easy… Continue reading: "Super Fast and Easy Baby Blanket"
- Fat Quarter Palisades Quilt
- Rainbow Raindrops Baby Quilt
- One-Day Triangle Quilt Tutorial
- 36 Charm Street Baby Quilt Pattern
- Gorgeous Gingham Baby Quilt Pattern
- Granny Love
- Scrappy Bear Paw Baby Quilt Tutorial
- Vintage Gingham Baby Quilt
- Afternoon Tango Baby Quilt Tutorial
- Classic Kennedy Baby Quilt Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Quilt-as-you-go Denim Throw Quilt
- Qayg Denim Quilt Blocks (use Up Your Quilt Binding Scraps Too!)
- Americana Star Placemat Quilt Pattern
- Americana Star Table Runner Quilt Pattern
- Charming Quilted Square Tablecloth Pattern
- American Flag Quilt Block Pattern
- Charming Scrappy Pinwheel Pattern
- Diy Finger Thumb Mitts
- Granny Love Quilt Pattern
- Charming Framed Pinwheel Mini Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns