Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
Quilted DIY Pillow
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Making a pillow never seemed so easy, but this Quilted DIY Pillow video tutorial will have you questioning why you never made them before. This super easy DIY tutorial shows you step by step, not only how to make a pillow, but how to make a quilted pillow. This handmade pillow tutorial is great for a loving and thoughtful DIY gift, or wonderfully personalized home decor craft. Plus, the super easy to follow quilting video takes you through each step, so you know exactly how to get your end product!
Project TypeMake a Project
Time to CompleteIn an evening
- Fusible fleece
- 14-inch pillow form
- Rotary Cutter
Be sure to check out more of Carolina Moore's quilting tutorials, including this one for a super cute Quilted Cuddle Throw
How to Quilt a Pillow
Quilted DIY Pillow Instructions
Cut one fat quarter of your focus fabric, a fat quarter of your star fabric, a fat quater of your background fabric, and a half yard of backing fabric.
Cut a 7.5 inch block from your focus fabric, and make sure it is centered.
From the background, cut 4 squares that are 4 inches each and 4 squares that are 4.5 inches each. From your star point fabric, cut 4 squares that are 4.5 inches each.
Grab your 4.5 inch squares from each color. Pick whichever fabric is lighter in color, and draw a diagonal line from corner to corner. Repeat for all your squares.
Take two different color squares and put them right side together. Sew a scant quarter inch away from the line you created. Repeat with your other sets of squares.
Cut your half square triangle apart. Line up on the line you drew, not the line you sewed, and cut. Then, press them open with the seam alliance going toward the dark side.
Square up your triangles to 4 inches. Line up your seam at the corret angle, cut on two sides, turn, line up again, and cut on two sides. Repeat with all your squares.
Lay out your blocks to make sure they are correct. Place your background square in the corners, and then your half square triangle spots on the sides.
Stitch your rows together but lining up your pieces and using a quarter inch seam.
Double check placement between stitching before you check the next piece.
Press your seams for your top and bottom rows, and then press the rest of your seams, the outter rows the seams go to the outside, and the middle row the seams go to the inside.
Put the outter row on top of the inner row facing each other, so that you can feel with your fingers where the seams overlap.
Stitch this together with a quarter inch seam. Repeat for the other side as well.
Press fusible fleece to the back of your block.
Remove your presser foot and add a free motion foot, before you begin quilting. Lower your foot and create your own design.
For the back of your pillow cut two 14.5 X 10.5 inch pieces. Mark a line 1/4 inch from the edge on both pieces. Fold over on that line press, fold over again and press again.
Take this to your sewing machine and stitch all the way from one end to the other, and repeat for the other backing piece.
Put your pillow top right side up, and your backing pieces on top of it with your folded pieces up so that they don't show on your finished pillow.
Line up the edges as best you can, and pin around all the edges before you sew it together.
Sew all the way around your pillow. There is no need to leave a hole in your project.
Tip: Pull out the pins do not sew over them.
Clip the corners 2-3 threads away. Do not cut your stitching, and turn your project right side out. Insert your pillow form and you are all done!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- Quarter Log Cabin Pillow Covers
- How to Make a Patchwork Pillow
- Geometric Throw Pillow with Lapped Zip Back
- Hello Spring Strippy Pillow Cover
- Denim Cathedral Window Pillow Part 1
- Breast Cancer Awareness Pillow
- Australian Holiday Pillow Design
- Country Home Patchwork Pillow
- Vintage Sheet Half Square Triangle Pillow
- Layered Brick Pillow
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Verna Tote Bag
- Checkerboard Scrappy Quilt
- Westcott Titanium Bonded Scissors
- Top 20 Free Scrap Quilt Patterns
- Making a Square for a Group Quilt Project
- Starburst Cross Block Quilt
- Pretty Petaled Flowers
- Banded Checkerboard Quilt Pattern
- Quick and Easy Christmas Table Runner
- Framed Squares Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns