24 Traditional Quilt Patterns: Free Traditional Quilt Blocks and Vintage Patterns
If you love classic quilt patterns, then you don't want to miss our list of traditional quilt ideas!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
While you can find a ton of different types of quilts these days, the best free quilt patterns are often the ones that remind you of the original quilters. Making vintage quilts with more traditional quilt blocks and traditional quilt patterns can really help you add a homey and old school look to any space. Whether you are sewing a bed quilt or making a wall hanging from quilt patterns, free patterns like the ones in this collection can really give your home some history.
Many of us learned how to quilt from our grandmothers and come from a long line of quilting women and men. Why not honor the great, beautiful tradition and art of quilting by using one of these traditional quilt patterns to make a quilt that harkens back to the golden years of quilting? Traditional quilts are just as stunning and lovely as their modern counterparts. Look below to find 24 Traditional Quilt Patterns: Free Traditional Quilt Blocks and Vintage Patterns.
There are hundreds of ways and patterns to make vintage quilts. Since quilting is traditional at its very core, many of the quilt block patterns you use every day lend themselves to creating traditional quilt patterns. Free traditional quilt patterns often look just like other quilt patterns with a hint of back-in-the-day. Whether you choose to add a pop of color to a vintage quilt pattern or make your traditional quilt patterns as homey as possible with more subtle hues, these free quilt patterns are going to the top of your to-quilt list. They’re that dazzling.
Table of Contents
Looking for even more wonderful quilt patterns? Don't miss our GIANT list of free quilt patterns and tutorials! 101+ Best Quilt Patterns for Free: Quilt Block Patterns, Quilt Patterns for Baby, and More
Traditional Log Cabin Quilt Blocks
Find more log cabin quilt blocks here.
- Log Cabin Block PatternThis traditional Log Cabin Block Pattern is super easy to design. You can make this specific block pattern in one night.
- Rainbow Log Cabin Quilt BlockPut a twist on plain old log cabin quilt blocks by using fabrics in every color of the rainbow for the "logs." The Rainbow Log Cabin Quilt Block is an easy way to add a pop of color to your quilt.
- Log Cabin Quilt BlockLearn how to build block foundations for log cabin quilts with this easy tutorial. This quilt block has a feminine feel, but feel free to change the colors for your own liking and purpose.
Flying Geese Traditional Quilt Blocks
Find more flying geese quilt block patterns here.
- Scrappy Geese Quilt BlockIf you have piles of fabric scraps that need to be used, then we have just the project for you! This tutorial uses the flying geese quilting technique to create a lovely geometric patchwork design.
- Flying Geese Blocks Made EasyLearn how to make flying geese a breeze with these nifty tips and tricks. This tutorial includes a handy chart to help you size your triangles depending on how large you want your block!
- Flying Geese Quilt Block PatternCombining three colors of triangles into one block, the final result of this free quilt block pattern is gorgeous, yet simple. The geometric design does all of the work for you.
Vintage Star Quilt Block Patterns
Even more star quilt block patterns here.
- Bright Hopes Star BlockThis quilt block pattern is called the Bright Hopes Star Block because its center square is a traditional bright hopes quilt block. Learn how to avoid using tricky Y-seams in this tutorial.
- Star Flower Quilt BlockThis block pattern for quilting uses the turnover triangles technique in order to create a start that is sure to shine bright on any quilt.
- Arkansas Traveler Quilt BlockThe four-pointed star, pieced from rhombus shapes, is also known as Teddy's Choice, the cowboy star, or the travel star. A bit of paper piecing makes this block unique from other Arkansas Traveler blocks!
- 7 Pointed Star BlockChange things up easily with the 7 Pointed Star Block, a paper piecing pattern that's got real contemporary appeal. Don't worry about all those extra points as long as you follow the templates.
Patchwork and Nine Patch Quilt Patterns
- Rainbow Cuddle Fabric QuiltMake a soft and cuddly quilt out of minky fabric with this quilt for kids that uses basic patchwork. This beginner quilt project is a fantastic way to play with color.
- Nostalgic Fat Quarter QuiltThis incredibly easy quilt pattern highlights pretty fabric selections and comes together in just a few days, even though it's big enough for a queen size bed!
- Sixteen Patch Baby QuiltThe Sixteen Patch Baby Quilt is a colorful patchwork pattern that is great for baby boys, in the colors shown. This baby quilt pattern is actually a super fast jelly roll quilt.
- Magically Self Sashing Disappearing Nine Patch QuiltYou might not believe it when you first see it, but this sneaky little pattern makes the disappearing nine patch quilt block really work for you.
Log Cabin Traditional Quilt Patterns
We have even more log cabin quilt patterns.
- Cabin Fever Blues Quilt PatternThis free quilt pattern combines scrap quilting with the traditional log cabin to create a jaw-droppingly pretty design. Complete with a piano key border, this log cabin quilt pattern comes as a free download.
- Country Cabin Lap QuiltWith overlapping rectangles spiraling out from the center, this gorgeous log cabin quilting pattern can easily add some old school flair to any of your spaces.
- Road to Brownwood Bed QuiltThe Road to Brownwood combines Ohio star quilt patterns and log cabin quilt patterns and coordinates coloring in the different blocks to create a background design in relief.
- Quilt As You Go Log Cabin QuiltIn this Quilt As You Go Log Cabin Quilt tutorial, you'll quilt your log cabin strips right onto your batting, then sew the blocks together and add backing and binding. All of your seams in the top and batting are hidden inside the quilt!
Star Quilt Traditional Quilts
Find more star quilt patterns here.
- Counting Stars Bed Quilt TutorialCreate a stunning bed quilt that reflects the beauty of the night sky with this star quilt tutorial. This Counting Stars Bed Quilt Tutorial shows you how to use diamond shapes to piece together your quilt.
- Giant Vintage Starflower QuiltIf you like star quilt patterns featuring the popular starflower block, you'll love this super quick Giant Vintage Starflower Quilt. Use big swaths of vintage sheets to make an extra-large starflower.
- Royal Star QuiltYou'll want to use your best fabric such as fat quarter quilt patterns to make a big impact with star quilt block patterns that seem to just burst with color.
- Smoky Mountain Stars QuiltAll of the stars are an optical illusion created by triangles sewn onto the corners of each square in this quilt. Create a rustic effect similar to patchwork within each of your quilted stars by using some scrappy quilt patterns.
Traditional Quilt Patterns and Vintage Quilts
If you still have not found the traditional quilt pattern you want to make, check out these traditional quilt patterns to sew.
- Grandma's Gorgeous Autumn QuiltThis granny square pattern is flawless, and you'll love the crisp look that you end up with. Choose a colored border for your quilt to really make it stand out.
- Fresh Diamonds QuiltMake the Fresh Diamonds Quilt with a pretty charm pack cut and pieced into half-square triangles. This charm quilt pattern will not disappoint you, no matter what prints and colors you use.
- Like Home Flannel Snuggle QuiltWhen you're in need of some extra comfort, wrap yourself in the Like Home Flannel Snuggle Quilt, and you'll feel better in no time.
- Wild Goose Chase QuiltWarm up your home during those cold winter months with the gorgeous scene of flying geese quilt patterns seemingly moving in all directions.
- Vintage Turning Modern QuiltThe Vintage Turning Modern Quilt incorporates advanced piecework and applique quilt patterns to create a hypnotic design of colorful circles and pretty border patterns.
- 1930s Barn Raising QuiltVintage quilt patterns have a long-lasting charm that quilters today still enjoy replicating. For quilters looking for a mix of pizzazz and sophistication, the 1930s Barn Raising Quilt is a beautiful pattern to start with.
- Vintage Inspired Bear Claw QuiltCheck out this helpful tutorial to learn how to make each darling quilt block depict the "bear claws" made out of tiny half square triangle quilt patterns.
- Vintage Meadow QuiltThe Vintage Meadow Quilt has the same aesthetic of vintage sheet quilts, but it is actually a pillowcase quilt. If you can find a collection of vintage sheets or pillowcases, you can make this pretty triangle quilt pattern.
Antique quilt patterns are an amazing way to add some truly homey touches to your space. The gorgeous free quilting patterns in this collection of 15 Antique Quilt Patterns Darling Enough for Downton are sure to inspire you! 15 Antique Quilt Patterns Darling Enough for Downton
How old is the oldest quilt in your house? Let us know below in the comments!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- Georgia Barn Quilt Pattern
- Coffee from Seattle Quilt Pattern
- Blue Bargello Quilt Pattern
- 18 Stunning Disappearing Nine Patch Patterns
- Pretty Persimmon Layer Cake Pattern
- Winter Celebration Strip Quilt Pattern
- 32 Free Quilting Designs for Machine Quilting
- Sleeping Beauty Quilt Pattern
- Colorful Old Jeans Quilt Pattern
- Top 100 Free Quilt Patterns of 2016
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Outside the Box Layer Cake Pattern
- Season of Pinwheels Throw Quilt
- Love Charm Throw Quilt
- Joy's Star Jelly Roll Quilt
- 24 Traditional Quilt Patterns: Free Traditional Quilt Blocks and Vintage Patterns
- 20 Simple Square in a Square Quilt Patterns
- Bright Hopes Star Block
- How to Sew a Cotton Gauze
- Patchwork Quilt from Vintage Sheets
- A Farmhouse Inspired Neutral Quilt
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns