Blue Bargello Quilt Pattern
Create a simple and elegant quilt in shades of sky blue with this free bargello pattern!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Nothing says modern elegance like bargello quilts, with their movement, simple lines, and bursts of color. If you've always wanted to try creating your own bargello quilt pattern, then you're in luck, because FaveQuilts is here to give you exactly what you want. This Blue Bargello Quilt Pattern is the perfect combination of style and simple quilting, and is the ultimate quick project that looks like it took weeks to make. This free bargello quilt pattern is a fabulous twist on traditional strip quilts and is a wonderful way to play with color value in quilting. If you've fallen in love with the hypnotizing movement of bargellos, be sure to download the free PDF pattern and keep reading for handy step-by-step instructions.
Looking for more tips on making a bargello? Don't miss Krystal's article, How to Make a Bargello Quilt Pattern!
Be sure to check out Krystal's blog, Let's Quilt Something.
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size65.5 inches wide x 80 inches long
Time to CompleteWeekend project
2 – Jelly Rolls (40 ct each, ranging from lights to dark fabrics)
*Note: I used 2 jelly roll packs that have doubles of each color so you can get the same lights and darks twice throughout the quilt. I am using Artisan Spirit Shimmer Pre Cut in Blue Lagoon.
- ½ yard – Binding
- 4 ½ yards – Backing
Searching for more bargello quilt patterns? Then don't miss our complete collection! 18 Free Bargello Quilt Patterns
How to Make a Bargello Quilt
Steps for Making Your Blue Bargello Quilt
First, you will sew one jelly roll pack ranging from darks to lights on their longest side. For this quilt, the layout is Dark, Light, Dark, Light.
Repeat step one in the exact same color way.
Next, take the bottom of your jelly roll strips and sew them to the top of your strips, right sides together, to form a tube-like shape.
With one tube strip set, cut your strips in this order. Place them off to the side and keep them same order as well. 1 ½” , 2 “, 2 ½”, 2 ¾”, 3”, 2 ¾”, 2 ½”, 2”, 1 ½”, 1 ¼”, 1 ½” , 2 “, 2 ½”, 2 ¾”, 3”, 2 ¾”, 2 ½”, 2”, 1 ½”.
With the strips you had cut in step 4, you are going to undo one seam starting at a dark color. Now, gradually move your colors upward undoing the next color until you have reached your 1 ¼” strip, which will be your lighter color.
Continuing on with step 5, now you will still be undoing a seam and moving downwards until you have undone your last 1 ½” strip, which will have your darker fabric at the top again.
Sew your strips together from step 5 and 6 on their longest side. You now have half the quilt pieced together.
Next, with your second tube strip set, cut your strips in this order. Place them off to the side and keep them in same order as well. 1 ½” , 2 “, 2 ½”, 2 ¾”, 3”, 2 ¾”, 2 ½”, 2”, 1 ½”, 1 ¼”, 1 ½” , 2 “, 2 ½”, 2 ¾”, 3”, 2 ¾”, 2 ½”, 2”, 1 ½”.
With the strips you had cut in step 8, you are going to undo one seam, starting at a dark color. Now, gradually move your colors downward, undoing the next color until you have reached your 1 ¼” strip, which will be your lighter color.
Continuing on with step 9, now you will still be undoing a seam and moving upwards until you have undone your last 1 ½” strip, which will have your darker fabric at the top again.
Sew your strips together from step 9 and 10 on their longest side. You now have the other half the quilt pieced together.
Lastly, sew step 7 on the left side of step 11 to complete your quilt top.
Don't miss out on our favorite quilt patterns of all time with this huge list! 101+ Best Quilt Patterns for Free: Quilt Block Patterns, Quilt Patterns for Baby, and More
What kind of projects would you like to see on FaveQuilts? Let us know below in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Images from other quilters
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
If you love the simplicity of Amish quilting, then you'll love this easy 9 patch quilt pattern. Designed to finish at the size of a… Continue reading: "Scrappy Meets Amish Quilt Pattern"
- Patchwork Cakes Pinwheel Quilt
- Vintage Doily Keepsakes Quilt
- Warm Winter Wedding Quilt Pattern
- Coffee from Seattle Quilt Pattern
- First Aid Quilt Pattern
- Simple Jelly Roll Quilt Tutorial
- 20 Stunning Disappearing Nine Patch Patterns
- Blue Ribbon Block Pattern
- Steel Magnolia Quilt Pattern
- Georgia Barn Quilt Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- How to Make an Outdoor Quilt
- Learn How to Straight Line Quilt
- Modern Quilted Christmas Stocking Pattern
- DIY Quilted Checkerboard Tutorial
- Beautiful and Modern Quilted Ornaments
- Soft and Breathable DIY Face Masks
- Versatile DIY Face Mask Pattern
- Free and Easy Striped Quilt Pattern
- Stepping Stones
- Churn Dash Quilt Block (in 4 Sizes!)
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns