Pretty Pinwheel Quilt Patterns: 17 Free Pinwheel Quilt Patterns
If you love traditional quilt patterns, then this collection of pinwheel quilt ideas is perfect for you!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Quilting basics can really come in handy when it comes to designing a new pattern. Just look at all of the patterns in Pretty Pinwheel Quilt Patterns: 17 Free Pinwheel Quilt Patterns! You can make designs for pillows, table runner quilt patterns, and new quilt block patterns with the use of half square triangles.
Pinwheel quilt patterns are perfect for any season and they aren't difficult to put together at all. Make any time of year a little brighter with one of these pinwheel patterns.
Plus, don't miss our video tutorial on how to make a pinwheel quilt block!
Table of Contents
Looking for more quilting videos? Don't miss out on any of our Quilt Block of the Month videos for 2017! 2017 Quilt Block of the Month
What is a Pinwheel Quilt Block?
It doesn't get more classic than a pinwheel quilt block! Pinwheel quilts date back to the early 19th century in America, and have remained popular with quilters for over a century. Their design is reminiscent of classic pinwheels or windmills, another name often given to this block.
The construction of pinwheel quilt blocks are incredibly simple, and are typically made using four half square triangle blocks. Pinwheel star blocks or double pinwheel blocks are also common variations of this traditional quilt design. If you're new to quilting, these tutorials for how to make pinwheel quilt blocks are a great project for you!
Find more information about pinwheel quilts from this article from Craftsy!
Pinwheel Quilt Block Patterns
- Lucky Pieces Quilt BlockInspired by patterns from the 1920s and 1930s, this combination of two quilting classics, pinwheels and stars, is great for beginners and uses simple HSTs to create its modern geometric look.
- Pinwheel Star BlockThe Pinwheel Star Block is also known as the Two Colors Star. It features a pinwheel quilt pattern at the center of a star quilt pattern.
- Dutch PinwheelIn this free quilt block pattern, the triangles are sewn together in squares, and then pieced to create the Dutch Pinwheel motif.
- Triple Framed Pinwheel Quilt BlocksTo make these blocks, you'll be framing small half square triangles with borders, and then piecing the three triangles together to create a larger half square triangle.
- Flying Geese Pinwheel Block PatternThis creative quilt block combines both flying geese quilt patterns and pinwheel quilt patterns to make geometric quilt patterns that seem to have a pinwheel at the center of a more traditional arrangement of flying geese.
- Propeller Quilt Block PatternThe Propeller Quilt Block Pattern looks like a simple pinwheel quilt pattern with a patchwork cross in the middle. Depending on your color and fabric choices, you can combine these blocks in several different layouts to create interesting effects in your quilt top.
Popular Pinwheel Quilt Patterns
Now that you know how to make blocks, see what kind of pinwheel quilt patterns they can be used for.
- Jolly Pinwheel Quilt PatternMade using jolly bars, this Jolly Pinwheel Quilt Pattern is a quick and easy quilt that can be made in a single weekend and combines the classic design of the traditional pinwheel with a revamped modern look.
- Briar Rose Star QuiltEnjoy making star blocks, pinwheel quilt patterns, basket quilt blocks, four patches, and other blocks in this engaging quilt pattern.
- Pinwheel Doll QuiltThis Pinwheel Doll Quilt pattern features a center panel pieced from small pinwheel blocks. Make this pinwheel quilt pattern for all your daughter's dolls.
- Patches and PinwheelsThe Patches and Pinwheels patterns makes bed comforters and quilts with an optical illusion! By alternating pinwheel quilt pattern blocks and 16 patch blocks, you see a diamond pattern emerge across the entire quilt.
- Truffle Pinwheel QuiltEasy patchwork and fun designs combine to make this Truffle Pinwheel Quilt a quick, attractive quilt pattern. Use it as a lap quilt, make it in pastel colors as a baby quilt, or hang it on the wall to give your home a cozy, country feel!
- Priscilla's Pink Pinwheel QuiltUse half square triangles to create an adorable pinwheel quilt pattern that your little one will love to look at. The best thing about this free baby quilt pattern is that it can be given to both boys and girls all you need to do is change the color of the fabric.
Decorative Pinwheel Quilt Pattern Ideas
- Wind Sail Mini Quilt PatternThis Wind Sail Mini Quilt Pattern mixes both traditional piecing and paper piecing, and uses a classic pinwheel design that's been a favorite with quilters for decades.
- Beginners Pinwheel Table Runner Quilt-Along: IntroductionQuilt along with us and learn how to make your very first quilt project! In this video series, Christian Tamez will teach us how to make a pinwheel quilt table runner.
- Chevron and Pinwheel PillowcasesUse a chevron quilt pattern or a pinwheel quilt pattern to embellish the edges of your homemade pillowcases.
- Pinwheel Table Topper PatternAs if making patchwork pinwheels weren't easy enough, this classic pattern gets a modern update with AccuQuilt GO! dies, making it even easier.
Holiday Quilt Projects Using Pinwheels
If you've got scraps from your previous holiday quilts, cut them into half square triangles to make some of these festive pinwheel patterns.
- Irish Pinwheels Table Topper TutorialThis Irish Pinwheels Table Topper Tutorial is the best way to show off your love of the Emerald Isle with a play on the traditional pinwheel pattern.
- Grand Pinwheel Quilted Tree SkirtThe Grand Pinwheel Quilted Tree Skirt is one large pieced pinwheel made with velvet and holiday fabrics that give your Christmas tree a sophisticated edge.
- Love Notes Table Runner PatternThis Valentine's Day table runner pattern uses a combination of traditional pinwheel and heart designs, and is a quick quilting project that you can create in a single weekend.
- Patriotic Pinwheel Quilt Runner TutorialAfter gathering your red, white and blue fabric and scraps, follow this tutorial and learn how to make your very own patriotic pinwheel quilt runner.
- Spinning and Spiraling Christmas QuiltThe Spinning and Spiraling Christmas Quilt is one of our most intricate fat quarter quilt patterns, so even though it looks complex, you can make all the blocks with a yuletide fat quarter bundle.
If you're looking for even more quilt block patterns, then you'll love our huge collection of quilt block ideas! 101+ Best Quilt Patterns for Free: Quilt Block Patterns, Quilt Patterns for Baby, and More
What's your favorite way to use half square triangles? Let us know below in the comments!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- Star Wars-Inspired Dog Bed
- How to Make a Quilt: 34 Half Square Triangle Quilt Patterns
- Quilting for Beginners: 21 Simple Quilt Patterns
- Magical Merlin Quilt Block
- 45 Free Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns + New Jelly Roll Quilts
- Cushy Catcher and Cushion
- 35 Free Star Quilt Patterns: Free Block Designs and Quilt Ideas
- 37 Free Log Cabin Quilt Patterns
- 900+ Free Quilting Patterns
- 23 Charm Pack Quilt Patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Cathedral Heart Quilt Block
- Squash Blossom Throw Quilt Tutorial
- What Seam Allowance is Used in Quilting?
- 20 Scrap Quilt Patterns: Ways to Make a Scrappy Quilt
- 21 Amish Quilt Patterns
- Valentine's Day Mug Rug
- Heartland Modern Quilt Pattern
- Rainbow Bridge Foundation Paper Piecing Pattern
- Rainbow Camera FPP Pattern
- Camera FPP Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns