33 of Our Favorite Patchwork Quilt Patterns
Are a beginner quilter? Then you'll love these quick and easy quilt patterns that are completely beginner-approved!
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
This collection of some of our best free quilt patterns is perfect for quilters who love piecing and patchwork. 33 of Our Favorite Patchwork Quilt Patterns is a round-up of patchwork quilt how-tos that will keep you busy piecing for hours!
From baby quilts to bed quilts, we've got all the best patchwork quilt patterns to use with your favorite fabrics or your mountain of scraps. Everyone from beginners to the most advanced quilters will be able to find a patchwork quilt pattern to enjoy.
Plus, if you're new to quilting, don't miss our video on How to Make a Nine Patch Block!
Table of Contents
Looking for more patchwork quilt patterns? Find that and much more in our reader favorite collection of free quilt patterns! 101+ Best Quilt Patterns for Free: Quilt Block Patterns, Quilt Patterns for Baby, and More
What is a Patchwork Quilt?
If you're new to quilting, then patchwork quilting is going to be your best friend! Patchwork quilts are one of the oldest and easiest types of quilts to make, and were originally designed to use up scrap fabric. Basic patchwork quilts are composed of small or large squares of fabric pieced together in rows, giving the quilt a checkerboard-effect. While scrap quilting is still a popular way to design patchwork quilts, modern precuts like charm squares and fat quarters allow quilters to work with a large array of fabrics and prints.
While patchwork designs have been around for centuries, they were notably popular in Europe in the 1700s, although they are more often associated with the US and Canada. Patchwork quilts have a long history with Amish quilters, who are famous for their geometric quilt designs, and were also popular with farming communities in the Midwest during the mid to late 1800s. Often considered a pasttime for women, patchwork quilts dating from 1900 and earlier often contained pieces of fabric significant to women, such as pieces of a wedding dress or children's clothing. With their simplicity and variety of design, it's no wonder why patchwork has remained popular for hundreds of years.
If you're searching for more information on the history of the patchwork quilt in the US, don't miss this excellent article from Quilting in America!
Baby Quilt Patchwork Patterns
Put your scraps together for these colorful baby quilt patterns. With patchwork quilt patterns as cute as these, you'll never be left hunting for a baby shower gift again!
- Little Onesies Baby Quilt TutorialDon't throw away all of those adorable onesies that your little one has outgrown and transform them into a soft and cuddly memory quilt with this Little Onesies Baby Quilt Tutorial.
- A Hundred Hugs Baby QuiltThe Hundred Hugs Baby Quilt is an incredibly easy baby quilt pattern that you can make with a variety of small charm packs or a jelly roll.
- Sweet Dreams Baby QuiltIf you're looking for easy baby quilt patterns for quick baby girl quilts that will use up leftover fabrics, the Sweet Dreams Baby Quilt tutorial is everything you need!
- Scatter Sunshine Baby QuiltVersatile, simple patterns for scrap quilts can be hard to find, but this Scatter Sunshine Baby Quilt is the perfect quilt pattern for all of your smallest scraps.
- Sixteen Patch Baby QuiltThis baby quilt pattern is actually a super fast jelly roll quilt. Piece together jelly rolls, cut, and re-piece to create the sixteen patches.
- Orange Blossoms Chevron Crib QuiltCheck out this tutorial to get precise half-square triangle instructions to get the perfect chevron quilt pattern of this adorable design for a baby quilt.
- Sunshine Slice of Life Baby QuiltThe Sunshine Slice of Life Baby Quilt is a colorful combination of pieced quilt block patterns and applique quilt designs created easily with templates from Fiskars.
- Log Cabin Baby QuiltThe block design for this Log Cabin Baby Quilt is special because it involves a lot of different shapes that make up a bigger shape.
- Marvelous Marmalade PatternFor a quick and easy DIY baby blanket, get started on this Marvelous Marmalade Pattern using all organic Maman fabrics.
- Scrappy Butterfly Baby Quilt TutorialCreate a cheerful and bright baby quilt that mixes basic patchwork with fun appliques with this Scrappy Butterfly Baby Quilt Tutorial.
- Fabulous Fat Quarter Baby QuiltFor a Fabulous Fat Quarter Baby Quilt you won't forget, try this DIY quilting tutorial for a stroller-sized quilt for infants.
- Starry Baby Name QuiltWhether it's a new handmade baby quilt for your own little one or an adorable gift for someone else, the HeatnBond letters will make sure that it's just for them.
- Sapphires and Rubies Baby QuiltThis colorful baby quilt uses easy block patterns for an eye-catching but simple design that's perfect for a nursery.
Bed Size Patchwork Designs
Use these patchwork quilt patterns to make throws or bedspreads for kids' bedrooms or guest bedrooms. These patchwork quilt patterns are big enough to cover a full or double size bed. Whether you make them from scraps or brand new yardage, they'll be a joy to piece together.
- Scrap Happy Nine Patch Quilt PatternGet ready to break out your brightest fabric scraps for this classic nine patch quilt pattern that new and experienced quilters will love.
- Chinese Windows Bed QuiltThe Chinese Windows Bed Quilt incorporates muted tones into a simple pattern that gives the effect of diamond-patterned stained glass windows.
- Dreamy Lattice QuiltThe diagonal string blocks create a beautiful lattice pattern when they are pieced together for the quilt top.
- Crayon Box QuiltThis crayon quilt pattern features blocks made of strips, squares, and bricks.
- Concentric Diamonds Patchwork QuiltDespite its simple and repetitive pattern, the Concentric Diamonds Patchwork Quilt creates a beautiful, impressionistic look when made with patterned fabrics in coordinating colors.
- Chevron Duvet CoverDesign a chevron quilt pattern that will serve a purpose every day while looking absolutely beautiful.
- Starburst QuiltThis star quilt pattern separates colorful, oversize star quilt blocks with crisp white sashing for an updated, modern look.
Small Quilt Projects using Patchwork
These small patchwork patterns will make everything from a wall hanging to a laptop case. Who said quilters can only make blankets?
- Charm Pack Laptop Case TutorialMade using mini charm packs and one fat quarter, this quick quilting project can be completed in no time and is a great way to treat yourself or a friend to a DIY laptop case that's pretty and functional.
- Finish It Your Way Patchwork BagThe Finish It Your Way Patchwork Bag tutorial allows you to customize this quilted tote bag pattern to your own tastes.
- Piece a Patchwork Scottie DogPatchwork Scottie dogs have been around for decades and they're all different, since they're typically made from scraps. So round up your 2-1/4" squares and get piecing!
- Quilted Owl Wall HangingThis Quilted Owl Wall Hanging looks like a colorful page in a children's alphabet book! Free quilted wall hanging patterns don't get cuter than this.
- Your home can look just like the rustic ranches shown in designer magazines with the addition of a Country Home Patchwork Pillow.
- Patchy Tablet Pillow StandEven though tablets are so popular these days, it's still tough to find a way to use them comfortably. That's why you should make a Patchy Tablet Pillow Stand for yourself or a tech-lover in your family.
- Color Spectrum DIY Pet BedThis free patchwork tutorial is great for scrap quilting, charm squares, or other precuts, and shows you how to create a fun DIY pet bed cover using a bed or fiberfill as stuffing.
- Charmed Fabric BowlClean up some of that clutter and make a brand new project at the same time with the Charmed Fabric Bowl.
- Patchy Pincushion HeartNeed to get rid of a few extra quilt scraps? The solution is simple just make a Patchy Pincushion Heart. Sweet little patchwork quilt patterns like this are useful for any quilter or sewist, which is why they'll make adorable small handmade quilt gifts too.
- Colorful Patchwork Kindle CaseKeep your e-reader safe with this quilted Kindle case pattern. The Colorful Patchwork Kindle Case is a stashbuster that will use up all your brightest, boldest scraps. A simple Velcro closure keeps your e-reader cozy inside this patchwork pouch.
Voted Most Popular: Free Patchwork Quilt Patterns
Spread these luxuriously large patchwork quilts on the bed in your master bedroom. If you like patchwork, you'll love tackling one of these patterns.
- Spring in Scandinavia Vintage Sheet QuiltGive your next quilt some old world charm and save some money on your fabric budget with this sweet and simple quilt inspiration.
- Friendship Charm Square Quilt TutorialFilled with tips and tricks for making a memory quilt, this charm square quilt tutorial shows you how to make an autograph quilt that's the perfect keepsake for your little ones.
- A Patchwork Story QuiltYou can bring any of your children's favorite stories and fairytales to life with A Patchwork Story Quilt.
- Brighten up even the gloomiest of days with a bubbly and colorful variation of a patchwork quilt design, the Totally Cute Tumbler Quilt.
- Summer Garden QuiltThis is one of the most summery downloadable applique quilt patterns! The Summer Garden Quilt features cheerful birdhouse, watering can, flower, and bird appliques against a simple piecework background.
- Colorful Patchwork QuiltNot all quilters have an easy time putting together a balanced color scheme, which is why all quilters should take a look at this quick tutorial for a Colorful Patchwork Quilt.
- Paisley Patchwork QuiltThis handmade paisley patchwork quilt is an adorable project to make for a little girl's bedroom.
New to quilting? Then be sure to check out our collection of strip quilt patterns! 31 Simply Stunning Strip Quilt Patterns
New to quilting? What kind of beginner tutorials would you like to see on FaveQuilts? Let us know below in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Free Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns We Love
Star Wars-Inspired Dog Bed
900+ Free Quilting Patterns
26 Charming Charm Pack Quilt Patterns
35 Free Star Quilt Patterns
38 Free Log Cabin Quilt Patterns
24 Fabulous Fat Quarter Quilt Patterns
30+ Free Nine Patch Quilt Patterns
35+ Snuggly Free Rag Quilt Patterns
Animal Cage Comforters
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns