Follow-the-Line Quilting Designs: Volume 5 by Mary M. Covey
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Follow-the-Line Quilting Designs: Volume 5
By Mary M. Covey
Gifted by Martingale & Company
Reviewed by Jessica Nichols, Editor of FaveQuilts.com
Follow-the-Line Quilting Designs by Mary M. Covey is an incredibly useful series of quilting design kits that provide quilters with traceable quilting patterns. Volume 5: Authentic Civil War Designs and More includes traditional American quilting motifs, such as eagles, Baptist fans, pumpkin vines, clamshells, and more. The kit comes with an instruction booklet and 18 reusable quilting pattern sets, including designs for borders, blocks, and more.
Using the instruction booklet in Follow-the-Line Quilting Designs, you can learn how to use the 18 quilting motifs to mark a quilting design on a quilt. With light fabrics, you should be able to set the pattern behind the fabric and trace the motif. For darker fabrics, quilters are directed to use a lightbox to trace the designs. If you have already basted the quilt or you are working with very dark fabrics, you can also trace the motifs onto tracing paper, quilt right through the tracing paper, and then rip it off after quilting. All three methods are described in detail in the instruction booklet, so you won't be left scratching your head about how to use these patterns. The instruction booklet also includes tips on positioning and resizing the designs, so you can adapt them to any size quilt.
Each pattern set included in Follow-the-Line Quilting Designs is made up of a specific quilting motif adapted for a few different areas of your quilt. For example, the Swag pattern set includes a pattern for a section of a 5-1/2" border, a corner design for a 5-1/2" border, and a coordinating design for a 4" x 10" area of the center of the quilt. These patterns can easily be resized in a copier to create templates for different sized borders and blocks. Each pattern is also drawn for continuous line quilting so that you can line up sections of the pattern end to end to repeat across your quilt.
Volume 5: Authentic Civil War Designs and More includes 19th century quilting motifs that were originally designed to hold together batting, backing, and quilt top more efficiently than many modern quilting designs. The patterns replicate the quilting designs that were most popular during the Civil War era. Patriot star flowers and hanging diamonds are featured, as well as a stylized alphabet that can be used to spell out anything you like on the quilt.
Read NextFaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
Learn how to quilt a gorgeous quilt block pattern that is a stunning mix of antique quilting ideas and modern flair. Unlike some free… Continue reading: "Antique Modern Quilt Block Pattern"
- FaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
- Quilt Books with Leisure Arts
- Madhuri Fabric Collection from Riley Blake Designs
- 50 States Quilt Blocks
- Chance to Win a Fat Quarter of Riley Blake Fab-boo-lous Fabric!
- Extraordinary Log Cabin Quilts
- Quilt Ruler Kit
- Blocks, Borders, Quilts! A Mix-and-Match Workbook for Designing Your Own Quilts
- Celebrate Seuss! Cuddle Quilt Kit
- Chance to win Fabric Traditions Pre-Quilted Fabrics!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Tropical Trails Quilt
- Floret Quilted Table Topper Pattern
- Free Tree Quilt Block Pattern
- Bright Bits Modern Mini Quilt
- Quilted Pumpkin Placemat Pattern
- Winterberry Pinwheel Quilt
- Mr. Chillingsworth Halloween Quilt
- Gorgeous Gift Box Table Runner Pattern
- Cozy Cabins Wall Quilt Pattern
- Quick Halloween Quilt
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns