English Paper Piecing: Fresh New Quilts from Bloom Creek by Vicki Bellino
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
English Paper Piecing: Fresh New Quilts from Bloom Creek
By Vicki Bellino
Gifted by Martingale & Co.
Reviewed by Jessica Nichols, Editor of FaveQuilts.com
English Paper Piecing: Fresh New Quilts from Bloom Creek is a wonderful introduction to the art of English paper piecing. Author and designer Vicki Bellino includes 12 truly beautiful quilt patterns that showcase the versatility of the technique. This book goes far beyond the traditional honeycomb hexagon patterns and grandmother's flower garden motifs. Combining applique, machine piecing, and English paper piecing, Bellino invites readers to discover and share the joy of hand piecing!
If you thought English paper piecing was about stitching endless hexagons together, this book open your eyes to the possibilities of this piecing method. Bellino includes quilt patterns for not only hexagons, but also diamonds, Dresden plate segments (and their chrysanthemum-petal cousins), and pentagons. She shows plenty of ways the shapes can be combined to create beautiful design motifs. From stars to flowers and everything in between, Bellino demonstrates how English paper piecing is used to create unusual piecework and applique.
English Paper Piecing: Fresh New QUilts from Bloom Creek is divided into three chapters of patterns, with each chapter characterized by the shapes that are used in the pattern. The Hexagons chapter, which may be the most intriguing to quilters who are just beginning to explore English paper piecing, includes three patterns. The first, Suitable for Framing, shows how hexagon flowers can be used not as a central design motif, but as a border to show off swaths of attractive fabric. In the Black and Red and Gold All Over quilt and the Spinagons quilts, Bellino again turns the Grandmother's Flower Garden pattern on its head, showing how the classic layout can be altered to create more interesting designs.
Bellino is most prolific in the Diamonds chapter, where she plays with star flowers (rings of diamonds with applique centers), combining them with elements like applique stems and log cabin blocks to make gorgeous quilts. She also shows how diamonds can be used in more geometric patterns as well, designing quilts that contrast nicely with her more floral patterns and show her versatility as a designer. The final chapter, a sampling of Dresden plate and pentagon patterns, brings readers bright, playful patterns that every quilter will want to make.
Whether you're a devoted paper piecer or completely new to the technique, English Paper Piecing: Fresh New Quilts from Bloom Creek provides creative and unique new patterns that will deepen your appreciation for this time-honored piecing method.
Read NextFaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
Learn how to quilt a gorgeous quilt block pattern that is a stunning mix of antique quilting ideas and modern flair. Unlike some free… Continue reading: "Antique Modern Quilt Block Pattern"
- FaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
- Quilt Books with Leisure Arts
- Madhuri Fabric Collection from Riley Blake Designs
- 50 States Quilt Blocks
- Chance to Win a Fat Quarter of Riley Blake Fab-boo-lous Fabric!
- Extraordinary Log Cabin Quilts
- Quilt Ruler Kit
- Blocks, Borders, Quilts! A Mix-and-Match Workbook for Designing Your Own Quilts
- Celebrate Seuss! Cuddle Quilt Kit
- Chance to win Fabric Traditions Pre-Quilted Fabrics!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Tropical Trails Quilt
- Floret Quilted Table Topper Pattern
- Free Tree Quilt Block Pattern
- Bright Bits Modern Mini Quilt
- Quilted Pumpkin Placemat Pattern
- Winterberry Pinwheel Quilt
- Mr. Chillingsworth Halloween Quilt
- Gorgeous Gift Box Table Runner Pattern
- Cozy Cabins Wall Quilt Pattern
- Quick Halloween Quilt
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns