Cutting-Edge Art Quilts
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Cutting-Edge Art Quilts
by Mary W. Kerr
Gifted by Schiffer Publishing
Though quilting is a traditional form, it's changing every day. Just like other major creative outlets, the craft changes as more and more quilters discover their unique points of view. That's part of what makes Cutting-Edge Art Quilts by Mary W. Kerr such a fascinating book. Readers get a thorough look into some of the major movements in the world of art quilting, and learn about the designers who bring these amazing patterns to life.
Art quilting isn't the longest-running tradition within the world of quilts, but it certainly is one of the most fascinating and abstract. If you've never seen an art quilt, or have always wondered how the artists design them, there's no better resource than Cutting-Edge Art Quilts. The author took on the difficult task of organzining the very unique patterns included in the book into sections that will best give readers an idea of the consistent processes that quilters use when approaching art quilts.
The first three sections, "Color Play" (pg. 5), "Alternative Fibers" (pg. 37), and "Threadwork" (pg. 61) each cover a series of quilts that the artists design focusing on particular color schemes and ways of working with fabric. Even if you aren't planning on making your own art quilt, the series of statements, creative tips, and advice are invaluable to any quilter. You may find a new way to approach how you work with applique, or maybe a new way to try adding a new level of dimension to your quilt. Following these three sections are "Special Techniques" (pg. 85), "3-D Designs & Embellishments" (pg. 111), and "Art Quilts Inspired by Photographs". It's amazing to see how quilters are coming up with their own ways to use color, shapes, and textures to convey emotion, story, and a strong sense of indivuality and style.
Read NextFaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
- FaveQuilts Reviews and Giveaways
- Fiskars Adjustable Three-Position Rotary Cutter
- Chance to win the Heather Fabric Collection!
- Quilt Books with Leisure Arts
- Chance to win Brushstrokes by Pepper Cory Fat Quarter Bundle!
- 10-Minute Blocks by Suzanne McNeill
- Pro-Stitcher Designer Software
- English Paper Piecing: Fresh New Quilts from Bloom Creek by Vicki Bellino
- Simplicity Bias Tape Maker
- Little House on the Prairie Fabric
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Handmade Fabric Christmas Village
- Quilt As You Go Scrappy Christmas Ornament Tutorial
- Fabric Kimekomi Christmas Ornaments
- Merry & Cheer Quilted Christmas Table Runner Pattern
- Winter Trees Quilted Table Runner
- Simple Ornate Celestial Quilt Pattern
- Double Orange Peel Quilt Block (with Denim Background)
- Favorite Fast Four Patch Quilt Pattern For Beginners
- How To Make A Quilt From Start To Finish 8 Easy Steps
- Witch Hat Halloween Table Runner Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns