American Quilting Traditions: 11 Free Quilt Designs, Quilt Blocks, and More Americana
Jumbo Bear Claw Block
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Skip the intricate and petite blocks and learn how to make a beautiful and big bear paw block pattern for quilting with this scrapbusting wonder. The Jumbo Bear Claw Block shows you how to make a block that is both simple and lovely. Big enough to display your favorite prints with smaller pieces to help out your stash-busting needs, this free bear claw quilt tutorial requires simple cutting and piecework. Using half-square triangles and full square cut-outs, this block is a beginner pattern.
Project Type: Learn a Technique
Quilt Size: 10 inches wide x 10 inches long
Time to complete: In an evening
Primary Technique: Pieced
Difficulty Level: Easy
DID YOU KNOW?
Most quilt blocks go by a number of names, both depending on geographical region time period. The bear paw quilt block is no exception! Named for its resemblance to the bottom of a bear's foot, the bear paw (or bear claw) quilt block pattern has also been referred to as "duck's foot in the mud" in the Long Island area, as well as the "hand of friendship" in the Philadelphia area. Whatever name it goes by though, there's no arguing that the bear claw block is about as easy to spot as, well, a bear!
This type of quilt has a long history, and has become a classic design in the American quilt canon. With its simplicity and deep roots beginning before the 19th century, this design is a true gem. The ease with which one can incorporate the half square triangle quilting method and pattern is one of the factors that makes this type of quilt popular among quilters who span a variety of demographics.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Cathedral Heart Quilt Block
- Squash Blossom Throw Quilt Tutorial
- What Seam Allowance is Used in Quilting?
- 20 Scrap Quilt Patterns: Ways to Make a Scrappy Quilt
- 21 Amish Quilt Patterns
- Valentine's Day Mug Rug
- Heartland Modern Quilt Pattern
- Rainbow Bridge Foundation Paper Piecing Pattern
- Rainbow Camera FPP Pattern
- Camera FPP Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns