Jumbo Bear Claw Block
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Skip the intricate and petite blocks and learn how to make a beautiful and big bear paw block pattern for quilting with this scrapbusting wonder. The Jumbo Bear Claw Block shows you how to make a block that is both simple and lovely. Big enough to display your favorite prints with smaller pieces to help out your stash-busting needs, this free bear claw quilt tutorial requires simple cutting and piecework. Using half-square triangles and full square cut-outs, this block is a beginner pattern.
Project TypeLearn a Technique
Quilt Size10 inches wide x 10 inches long
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Most quilt blocks go by a number of names, both depending on geographical region time period. The bear paw quilt block is no exception! Named for its resemblance to the bottom of a bear's foot, the bear paw (or bear claw) quilt block pattern has also been referred to as "duck's foot in the mud" in the Long Island area, as well as the "hand of friendship" in the Philadelphia area. Whatever name it goes by though, there's no arguing that the bear claw block is about as easy to spot as, well, a bear!
This type of quilt has a long history, and has become a classic design in the American quilt canon. With its simplicity and deep roots beginning before the 19th century, this design is a true gem. The ease with which one can incorporate the half square triangle quilting method and pattern is one of the factors that makes this type of quilt popular among quilters who span a variety of demographics.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
Journey around the world with a throw quilt pattern that's incredibly beginner friendly and is easy to design with this Bon Voyage… Continue reading: "Bon Voyage Throw Quilt Pattern"
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Mini Flying Geese Foundation Paper Piecing Pattern
- To The Nines! ~ A Pretty Block Of The Week Quilt
- Winnie the Pooh and Friends Quilt Pattern
- Give and Take Free Quilt Pattern
- Pinwheel Party Mini Quilt
- Rag Rose Pincushion
- Nine Patch Quilt Block
- Meandering Wisconsin ~ A Picnic Quilt Pattern
- Card Trick Quilt Block
- How To Make A Rag Pillow
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns