Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns
By: Jessica Nichols, Editor of FaveQuilts.com
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Free String Quilt Patterns from FaveQuilts: Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns eBook
You've never seen scrap quilt designs like this before! Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns has all the string quilting tutorials you need to use up your skinniest scraps and make a gorgeous paper pieced quilt.
Whether you're an experienced string quilter or you've never even heard of the technique before, you are sure to enjoy the tutorials and patterns in this eBook. If you are a beginner, you can start with the string quilting primer in our very first chapter and then move on to the beautiful string quilts in the rest of the eBook. If you've already made your share of simple string quilt blocks and diamond string quilts, then you'll find quite a few creative, unusual string quilt patterns to give new life to your scrap quilt patterns. We have easy patterns like string quilt table toppers and advanced patterns like a star quilt made up of string-quilted diamonds. Stick with something simple for a quick scrap quilt, or challenge yourself with a more intricate pattern.
If you've never heard of string quilting before, prepare yourself for the best scrap quilt designs you can find in Super String Quilts: 13 paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns! String quilting is a method of making scrap quilts using skinny strips of fabric. Quilters often slice their fabric scraps into strips, sort them by color, and save them until they are ready to make their next string quilt. This makes string quilting one of the best ways to use up scraps, since it accommodates strips of fabric as small as 1" wide.
Strings are often sewn onto the foundation block on the diagonal. This makes it easy to create intriguing layouts with the string quilt blocks. A finished string quilt has a scrappy feel, but the pattern created by the stripes of fabric in each block unifies the whole piece. Diagonal string quilt blocks can be used to create scrap quilts with diamond, chevron, zigzag and other geometrical patterns. For an example of the basics of making string quilts, the first tutorial in our eBook, the "String Quilt Primer" (pg. 5), shows you a standard paper piecing pattern start with.
The basic unit of a string quilt is the string quilt block. You can use paper piecing patterns or foundation piecing techniques to make a string quilt block, or you can even piece the block without a foundation if you feel confident doing so. The most common string quilt blocks are made by sewing strings onto the block diagonally, from corner to corner, and working outwards from the middle strip. The block patterns in the Super String Quilts eBook give you just a few ideas for how you can use string piecing in a quilt block.
To make abstract geometric string quilt blocks like the "String Star Quilt Block" (pg. 12), you can simply sew your strips onto your foundation fabric at different angles. You can also change the way the block looks by varying the widths of the strings you use. Combining the blocks in different ways creates different patterns and shapes, much like turning a kaleidoscope. The possibilities for string quilt blocks are endless with just a few tweaks in string width and position.
While making a throw or bed-sized string quilt can be a great way to use up a ton of scraps, a project of that size can be a little daunting. Whether you're short on time or scraps, you'll enjoy the smaller string quilting patterns included in the Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns eBook. This chapter includes string quilts and paper piecing patterns for two table quilts, a pillow, and a set of potholders. You can make each of these projects with a smaller collection of strings and just a few hours. If you choose attractive scraps and coordinate the colors of your strings, these projects can become gorgeous decorations for your home. For example, the popular "Rainbow All-Sort String Pillow," made with an assortment of solid, bright-colored strips, is a bright accessory for any room in your house.
These foundation pieced string quilt tutorials are a treasure chest of patterns for scrap quilters. Fabric hoarders will love all the ideas for using up their stash in beautiful string quilts. These quilts are large enough to be lap quilts, throw quilts, or even bed quilts. All that extra fabric you have lying around will turn into a comfy, cozy blanket to snuggle under.
The patterns in this chapter of Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns depart from the basic string quilt pattern into more intricate patterns that you won't see on every quilt rack. One of our favorites is the challenging "Out on a String Quilt" (pg. 41), which combines string quilted stars with bold sashing in a truly unique design. It's a great project for more experienced quilters to try when they get bored of plainer quilts.
What Your Get with Your Free eBook:
With your free copy of the Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns eBook, you can also subscribe to our Piecing It Together newsletter to become part of a helpful and friendly quilting community. In subscribing to the newsletter you will receive:
- Four weekly e-mails with free quilt patterns, tips, collection pages, videos and more.
- Chances to win quilting books and products in giveaways and contests.
- New FREE patterns made available to you throughout the year.
- Access to our free pattern library full of hundreds of free quilt patterns.
- The opportunity to share ideas and help others in the quilting community.
This eBook is available to FaveQuilts readers at no cost, so you won't have to spend a cent on the pattern for your next string quilt! Each pattern includes a materials list to make shopping a cinch and step-by-step instructions with full-color photos and diagrams so the pattern is easy to follow. Once you have downloaded the eBook and subscribed to our Piecing It Together newsletter, you will receive new free quilt patterns in your e-mail inbox every week! Join the FaveQuilts.com quilting community and gain access to hundreds of free quilt patterns and connect with quilters all over the country. Download this free eBook and check out FaveQuilts.com for tons of quilting inspiration!
Here's a preview of what's inside our eBook:
For more patterns you might enjoy, take a look at these pages:
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns
- Kaleidoscope Star String Block
- Diamond in a Square Strings
- Basket Weave Quilt Pattern
- 7 Free Paper Piecing Patterns for String Quilts
- String Quilting Primer
- Rainbow All-Sort String Pillow
- Ruby Strings Quilt
- Out on a String
- Secret Garden Quilt Pattern
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Drawstring Top Fabric Basket
- Hand Tied Snuggle Quilt Tutorial
- How to Design Your Own DIY Quilt
- 18 Stunning Disappearing Nine Patch Patterns
- QAYG Vera Bradley-Inspired Pouch
- Canadian Maple Leaf Block
- Quilted Vintage Shirt Cushion
- Guide to Quilt Sizes
- How to Use a Rotary Cutter
- Robot Quilt for Your Grandson