Use your Accuquilt cutter to make a simple patchwork baby quilt pattern into something special! The Squares and More Baby Quilt features a checkerboard pattern of patchwork and applique quilt squares. Each patchwork square is made up of tinier patchwork squares, and each applique square has a fun shape, flower, or critter to entertain baby.
This image courtesy of www.accuquilt.com
Make a Project
43.5 inches wide x 43.5 inches long
Time to complete:
A week or two
Pieced & Appliqued
- 1 yard each of four fabrics or:
1⁄3 yard each of 3 fabrics for inner borders
1⁄2 yard fabric for outer border
Fat quarters or scraps for 2" squares
- 3/4 yard fabric for large squares
- 1/2 yard binding fabric (or use scraps for strips)
- 3/4 yard fusible web product
- 2-3/4 yards backing fabric
- Accuquilt Go! fabric cutter
- Accuquilt Go! square 2" (55022)
- Accuquilt Go! 5" x 10" mat (55110)
- Accuquilt Go! strip cutter 2-1/2" (55017)
- Accuquilt Go! square 6-/12" (55000)
- Accuquilt Go! stars 2", 3", 4" (55028)
- Accuquilt Go! hearts 2", 3", 4" (55029)
- Accuquilt Go! round flower (55007)
- Accuquilt Go! critters (55030)
- Cut 52—2" squares each of four fabrics or cut 208 squares from fat quarters or scraps
- Cut 4—2-1/2" strips across width of fabric (WOF) for inner borders 1, 2, and 3
- Cut 5—2-1/2" strips across WOF for outer border
- Cut 12—appliqué shapes with fusible web backing from available GO!® dies–stars, hearts, flowers, butterflies, dragonflies and bees
- Cut 12—6-1/2" squares from selected fabric
- Cut 5—2-1/2" strips across WOF for binding
- Layout 16, 2" squares in a random design for one pieced block.
- Pin and sew together in four rows of four squares. Press seams of alternating rows to right or left.
- Pin and sew rows together to complete block. Make 13 pieced blocks.
Optional: Center an appliqué shape on each 6-1/2" large square. Fuse according to manufacturer’s directions. Machine appliqué edges of appliqué shape, adding detail as desired.
- Layout 13 pieced blocks and 12 large (appliquéd) squares for quilt according to photo.
- Pin and sew pieced blocks and large squares together in horizontal rows.
- Press seams of alternating rows to right or left.
- Pin and sew rows together to complete quilt.
- Press seams toward bottom of quilt.
- Add four borders, adding the sides first, then top and bottom borders. Outer border strips will need to be pieced together.
QUILTING & FINISHING:
- Layer batting between quilt top and backing.
- Pin or baste layers together.
- Machine quilt in an all-over design.
- Add binding, mitering corners.