This free baby quilt pattern is a simple quilt that can be adapted easily for any gender or decor. With an easy pattern of pieced diamonds and octagons as a background, you can experiment with appliqued letters and pictures for a customized quilt.
Make a Project
36 inches wide x 36 inches long
Time to complete:
Pieced & Appliqued
- Fabric 1 (white)—1-3⁄4 yards
- Fabric 2 (blue)—1-¼ yards (includes binding)
- Fusible web—½ yard
- Backing fabric—1¼ yards
- Batting—42" x 42"
- Fabric scraps for optional shapes
- Accuquilt die cutting machine
- Accuquilt Alpha Baby die (#55035)
- Accuquilt 5" x 10" mat (#55110)
- Accuquilt Strip Cutter 2-1/2" (#55017)
- Accuquilt Square die 6-1/2" (#55000)
- Accuquilt Half Square - 2" Finished Triangle (die packaged with die cutting machine)
- Matching thread
Cutting Fabric 1:
Cutting Fabric 2:
- Cut 4—2½" strips across the width of fabric
- Cut 144—2" half square ﬁnished triangles
- Cut one set of BABY letters with fusible web backing
- Layout four, 2" ﬁnished half square triangles right sides together on corners of one Fabric #1, 6½" square as shown:
- Pin and sew across long edge of triangles with ¼" seam allowances. Trim excess Fabric #1 beyond triangles. Press seams toward corners to complete “snowball” blocks.
- Make 36 snowball blocks.
- Remove paper backing from appliqué letters.
- Position letters centered on snowball blocks. Fuse according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Optional: Cut and fuse other fun appliqué shapes to blank squares cut from Baby, Baby (55037) and Lullaby (55038) as shown:
- Machine appliqué edges of appliqué shapes with a narrow zigzag or narrow satin stitch.
- Layout quilt blocks according to diagram.
- Pin and sew blocks into rows. Press seams open.
- Pin and sew rows to complete quilt top. Press seams open.
Quilting & Finishing:
- Layer batting between quilt top and backing.
- Pin or baste layers together.
- Machine quilt with an all-over design.
- Add binding, mitering corners.