Log cabin quilt designs are always a favorite with beginning quilters and expert quilters alike. The simple piecework has a timeless charm that lends itself to endless log cabin quilt variations. Explore the possibilities with these 15 Free Log Cabin Quilt Patterns, including log cabin table quilts, log cabin blocks, log cabin throws, and other creative projects made with log cabin variations!
If there's anything you want to have in your quilting skill set, it's a knowledge of log cabin quilt designs. The simplest log cabin quilt pattern, which consists of strips pieced around a center square successively until you have a block the size you want, is easy to sew and makes for colorful quilts. After mastering this basic technique, you can use different colors and values in strategic parts of your blocks to create big picture designs in your finished quilt. Traditional log cabin quilt blocks are made in two colors and then arranged in different patterns to create a number of classic log cabin quilt layouts, called settings. Popular settings including barn raising, sunshine and shadows, and straight furrows.
15 Free Log Cabin Quilt Patterns Table of Contents
Log Cabin Quilting Block Designs
Learn how to make the building blocks of the rest of the free log cabin quilt patterns in this list. Whether you prefer straight-laced traditional log cabin quilt blocks or crazy quarter log cabin blocks with uneven piecing, these block patterns will become the foundations of all your original log cabin quilt designs!
- Log Cabin Quilt Block - Start with this most basic of tutorials for log cabin quilt blocks to get a hang of the technique.
- Fun House Log Cabin Quilt Block - The wonky piecing in this log cabin pattern reminds us of a fun house hallway!
- Wonky Quarter Log Cabin Quilt Block - Piece just a quarter of the classic log cabin design with this unusual tutorial.
- Scrappy Log Cabin Quilt Blocks - This tutorial proves that you can still make beautiful log cabin quilts with scraps!
- Log Cabin Hexagon Block - Put a twist on the traditional log cabin square by turning it into a hexagon, adding six strips instead of just four in each round.
- Improv Log Cabin Quilt Block - Give log cabin quilts a mod update with the random piecing and uneven strips in this block.
Log Cabin Table Quilts
Dress up your tables with these small log cabin quilt patterns. Log cabin mug rugs and table toppers will give your house a homey, country feel.
- Quilt As You Go Log Cabin Table Topper - Quilt strips directly onto batting to make pre-quilted log cabin blocks, then piece them together and back the quilt for a quick and easy table topper.
- Offset Log Cabin Mug Rug - Log cabin quilt patterns are generally square, but you can still use the familiar design in a mug rug if you offset the log cabin block, as in this tutorial.
Beautiful Log Cabin Quilts
Log cabin blocks make beautiful quilts! Browse through these free log cabin quilt patterns to find throws and bed quilts that you'll want to display in your home.
- Road to Brownwood Bed Quilt - Different hues of orange, yellow, and plum in the log cabin blocks in this quilt work to create an engaging warmth in this unique design.
- Country Cabin Lap Quilt - Take the simple log cabin block to a new level with this lap quilt, which is essentially a giant log cabin block.
- Wonky Log Cabin Throw - A rainbow of colors and improv piecing make this quilt extra playful.
- My Sunshine Log Cabin Quilt - A classic barn raising setting highlights flamboyant sunflower prints in this summery quilt.
Creative Log Cabin Quilt Variations
Log cabin blocks aren't just for quilts; you can use them in all kinds of small quilted projects! These free log cabin quilt patterns use the log cabin piecework method in ways you might not have thought of!
- Free-form Log Cabin Pillow - If you like the liberated style of piecing log cabin quilts that you saw earlier in this collection, you'll love this modern log cabin pillow. Use brights and neutrals for high contrast!
- Triangular Log Cabin Pincushion - Make a log cabin with only three sides for this geometric little pincushion.
- Log Cabin Christmas Tree Skirt - Bring a little holiday cheer to your quilting with this homey quilted tree skirt.