American Quilting Traditions: 11 Free Quilt Designs, Quilt Blocks, and More Americana
8 of Our Favorite Quilt Block Patterns + 20 Top Patterns
By: Jessica Nichols, Editor of FaveQuilts.com
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
There are endless numbers of quilt block designs you can use in your quilt patterns, but sometimes it can be hard to find the real winners. That's why we've collected 8 of Our Favorite Quilt Block Patterns, so you can try the most popular quilt blocks we have. If there's one thing these quilting blocks all have in common, it's their stashbusting power. Most of our top quilt squares are scrap quilt blocks, so you can use them to give leftover fabric a new purpose.
If you'd like to see more awesome quilt designs, make sure to check out our list of the 100 Best Quilt Patterns of 2013: Baby Quilt Patterns, Quilted Handbags, Free Quilt Blocks and More. You'll find all of our favorite quilt patterns from 2013, all in one place.
8 of Our Favorite Quilt Block Patterns
- Scrapbuster Rail Fence Quilt Block - Use strips of any color or print to make this easy rail fence block. You can even piece two strips together to make a strip long enough to stretch across the block. As long as all the stripes go in the same direction, this quilt block looks great!
- Easy Corner Tree Block - Pull out your scrap bag and make a ton of teeny half-square triangle for this colorful tree quilt block. It's especially useful for making corner blocks in whimsical scrap quilts.
- Odds and Ends String Quilt Block - String quilting is a unique method for putting together quilt block patterns with different strips of fabric. Try this easy pattern to start your next scrap quilt design.
- Fast Forward Quilt Block - Put two half-square triangles together to create a flying goose, and then arrange the flying geese in a square. If you make each pair of geese in a different color, they look like fast forward buttons on a remote!
- Sands of Time Quilt Block - Stripes of colorful fabric look like tinted sand in this unusual hourglass block. Use neutral accent fabric to really make the colors pop.
- Stormy Skies Circle of Geese Block - More advanced quilters can make a flying geese quilt block pattern with impressive accents.
- Paper Pieced Pop Bottle - For quilters looking for quirky and easy quilt block patterns, try this kitschy paper piecing pattern with you can personalize in a number of creative ways.
- Reverse Applique Circles Block - If you want to add some real pizzazz to your quilt block designs, you can use colorful applique patterns like this and be finished in only a few hours.
BONUS! 20 Top Patterns from FaveQuilts
1. Aunt Addie's Quilt Block - Unlike many other star quilt blocks, Aunt Addie's Album block has an oversized center square and much smaller points made from quarter-square triangles rather than half-square triangles.
2. Easy Double Hourglass Blocks - If you like including geometric patterns within your quilt, the hour glass quilt pattern will make the perfect addition. These quilt block patterns are just the right mix of quirky and classic to complement any quilt they're on.
3. Heart Embers Quilt Block - Show a loved one how much you can with this beautiful pieced quilt. The two-tone design gives the block a warm feel that will make any room seem just a little more welcoming.
4. Two at a Time Hourglass Blocks - With a few simple seams and a two squares of fabric, you can make hourglass quilt block patterns two by two. Pair solid white squares with squares of scrap fabric for a simple way to use up scraps.
5. Avant Garde Double Disappearing Nine Patch - The Avant Garde Double Disappearing Nine Patch is a really great way to form a magic nine patch quilt. This innovative style teaches you how to make a fractured nine patch quilt block, which looks complicated but is actually incredibly simple!
6. Curved Nine Patch Quilt Block - Try this Curved Nine Patch Quilt Block when you're running out of new quilt block ideas. This inventive block combines the simplicity of nine patch quilt patterns with advanced curved piecing for a block that adds interest to a patchwork quilt.
7. Sawtooth Star Quilt Block Pattern - The Sawtooth Star Quilt Pattern is just a simple variation on an easy star quilt block. Add points to the corners of a regular star block, and you've got a sawtooth star.
8. Magician's Disappearing 9 Patch - The Magician's Disappearing 9 Patch magic nine patch quilt block is the perfect beginning to a gorgeous and creative quilt.
9. Crazy Nine Patch - You don't have to worry about straight lines or precise measurements to make this easy crazy quilt block. Coordinate colors and prints in blocks to make stripes and make your fat quarter quilt patterns pop with unique piecing techniques.
10. Scrappy Rainbow Star Quilt Block - This quilt block pattern is an easy way to use up tiny colors of different scraps. Make a bunch of scrappy blocks, each of a different hue, and then cut them into half-square triangles.
11. Tiny Wonky Star Block - The Tiny Wonky Star Block is the solution to small-scale star quilt patterns. If you'd like to make a star block for a doll quilt, mini quilt, or other small project, you can make this wonky quilt block using fusible interfacing to make the process easier.
12. Star Flower Quilt Block - This free quilt block pattern makes pretty quilt blocks, but it's as easy as piecing half-square triangles! The Star Flower Quilt Block looks gorgeous made with alternating petals of colored fabric.
13. Victorian Jewel Box Quilt - Create a vintage-inspired quilt block pattern fit for a queen with this Victorian Jewel Box Block. By using deep purple, hot pink, and other jewel toned fabrics, this free quilt block design really looks like a collection of bright rubies and sapphires!
14. Easy Log Cabin Quilt Block - Log Cabin Quilt Block patterns can be tricky, but with this Easy Log Cabin Quilt Block, you'll be able to begin with the useful foundation for a future quilting project. Using as many colorful fabrics as you'd like, you can design a classic quilt with your own twist.
15. Twinkle Twinkle Scrappy Star - Let this Twinkle Twinkle Scrappy Star quilt block tutorial brighten your nights and inspire you to make a full friendship star-patterned quilt. This easy quilt design is fun because you can use fabric scraps instead of purchasing new fabric, giving you a unique and eye-catching block design.
16. Bright Hopes Star Block - This quilt block pattern is called the Bright Hopes Star Block because its center square is a traditional bright hopes quilt block. Learn how to avoid using tricky Y-seams in most bright hopes blocks with this tutorial, and then incorporate these creative star quilt blocks into your next star quilt.
17. Bloomin' Quilt As You Go Block - Skip the hexies and applique this time around and make a gorgeous Bloomin' Quilt as You Go Block. Watch as your quilt block patterns seem to bloom right in front of you as you piece together your fabric scraps.
18. Wonky Corners Block - This wonky quilt block gives you a feeling of staring down a tunnel in a funhouse! The Wonky Corners Block is made by piecing increasingly larger scraps of fabric to two sides of a center square for crazy scrap quilt blocks.
19. Aunt Eliza's Star - This free quilt block pattern is called Aunt Eliza's Star. The tutorial will show you how to piece star quilt blocks that you can later join together for a star quilt.
20. Rainbow Log Cabin Quilt Block - Put a twist on plain old log cabin quilt blocks by using fabrics in every color of the rainbow for the "logs." The Rainbow Log Cabin Quilt Block is an easy way to add a pop of color to your quilt. The tutorial is also great for beginners to learn how to make a log cabin quilt.
If you enjoyed these free quilt block patterns, be sure to peruse our 100 Best Quilt Patterns of 2013. Along with these quilt blocks, you'll find all of our most popular quilt patterns from the past year.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Blooming Rag Quilt Pattern
- Tulip Applique Quilt Block Pattern
- Picket Fence Quilt Block Pattern
- Clover Mini Quilt Pattern
- Quilting Quickly Best of Fons & Porter
- Quilting with Precuts
- Precut Quilts
- Bonnie Rose Irish Chain Quilt
- 24 Traditional Quilt Patterns: Free Traditional Quilt Blocks and Vintage Patterns
- Clover Quilt Block Pattern