Quilt blocks are the foundation for most quilt patterns; once you have experience sewing quilting blocks, you have the skills to make a whole quilt top! Try out some of these 23 Fantastic Free Quilt Block Patterns to sharpen your piecework skills.
Not only can easy quilt block patterns help you to tackle new quilting skills, they can also give you the tools to design your own quilt patterns! With the free quilt block patterns we've collected here, you'll be able to create a huge variety of quilt patterns. Use just one of these quilt blocks patterns to make a whole quilt with the same pattern repeated in each block, or combine several block designs in a quilt to create an interesting new pattern. Whether you tend to like using pictures or patterns in your quilts, we've got free quilt block patterns for both of those styles. Tree block patterns and star block patterns will help you tell stories or depict nature in your quilts, while more abstract designs like nine patch quilt block patterns will give you colorful patchwork quilts.
23 Fantastic Free Quilt Block Patterns Table of Contents
Nine Patch Quilt Block Patterns
Nine patch quilt block patterns can be some of the easiest quilt blocks to make. Their simple construction makes them a cinch to put together, but they can be surprisingly versatile depending on how you alter the basic 3 x 3 grid.
- Crazy Nine Patch - This popular quilt block is made with primary colors and a dash of craziness!
- Curved Nine Patch (shown) - Practice your curved piecing on this attractive quilt block.
- Wonky Barn Fence Block - This block design combines scales down a rail fence quilt pattern to just one nine patch block.
Tree Block Patterns
If you’re hoping to bring a bit of the outdoors into your quilt, tree block patterns are just the design you’re looking for. Tree block patterns are interesting additions to house quilts, and a row of them can make a beautiful top or bottom border.
- Easy Corner Tree - A bunch of tiny half-square triangles form the leaves for this patchwork tree.
- Pieced Evergreen Tree - Make this block in festive colors for a Christmas tree or plain green and brown for a simple evergreen.
- Raw Edge Applique Evergreen - If you'd rather applique than piece, this tree block pattern is for you!
- Tall Trees Paper Pieced Block (shown) - These stately evergreens will remind you of a redwood forest.
Disappearing Nine Patch Quilt Blocks
Do you believe in magic? As soon as you see these disappearing nine patch quilt blocks in action, you will! These tutorials will teach you how to cut and rearrange a simple nine patch to make it look much more complex. These free quilt block patterns are good choices for scrappy quilts.
- Magician’s Disappearing Nine Patch - This is the most basic disappearing nine patch, and the one you'll use most often.
- Darling Disappearing Nine Patch Video Tutorial - Watch this video tutorial to get a visual of how a disappearing nine patch works.
- Avant Garde Double Disappearing Nine Patch (shown) - Cut and re-piece your nine patch twice to get this intricate block.
- Reverse Magic Nine Patch - Make four cuts rather than two and keep your center square intact in this creative magic nine patch.
Star Block Patterns
Very few quilt patterns have more traditional appeal than a pieced star quilt. Interesting variations of star block patterns are the backbones of these classic quilts. Use several free quilt block patterns from this collection for a star sampler quilt, or choose just one design for a quick and easy quilt.
- Army Star Paper Pieced Block - Use foundation piecing to make this patriotic five-pointed star.
- Aunt Eliza’s Star - This simple star block is similar to an Ohio star.
- Bright Hopes Star Block (shown) - A clever adjustment in this block tutorial eliminates the Y-seams in traditional bright hope blocks.
- Fourth of July Star Blocks - Use this wonky star block pattern for a red, white, and blue summer quilt.
- Star Flower Quilt Block - This pretty star block is a reader favorite!
- Whirling Star Block (shown above) - A paper piecing template makes it easy to get precise points in this star block.
Wonky Quilt Blocks
Wonky quilt blocks are a great break from more intricate blocks. These free quilt block patterns use liberated piecing to make quilting quicker and easier. With wonky blocks, you don’t have to be precise about your angles and measurements. Just have fun with it!
- Wonky Corners Block (shown) - This crazy block will remind you of a fun house or the twilight zone!
- Wonky Square - Simple wonky stripes are pieced, cut, and re-pieced to create this easy block.
- Wonky Star Block - You don't have to worry about perfectly matched points with this simple star.
- Tiny Wonky Star Block - Make a tiny 3-inch star block with this tutorial!
Half Square Triangle Quilt Block Patterns
Half square triangles are the building blocks of many great quilt block patterns. If you like piecing half-square triangles and figuring out how to organize them to create an image, then check out these half square triangle quilt block patterns for some fresh inspiration!
- Diamond Half-Square Triangle Block (shown) - This deceptively simple block creates a pattern of concentric diamonds.
- Dutch Pinwheel - This interesting block looks like a pinwheel set at the center of a cross.