6 YouTube Quilting Videos for Beginners
By: Jessica Nichols, Editor of FaveQuilts.com
We are adding the pattern to your Quilt Basket.
The pattern was added to your Quilt Basket.
Learn how to make a quilt through YouTube quilting videos! These 6 YouTube Quilting Videos for Beginners demonstrate the basic steps of quilting, including rotary cutting, chain piecing, applique, basting, hand quilting, machine quilting, and binding. Let our Youtube videos guide your success in your next quilting project. There's nothing quite like seeing instructions played out in front of you, so you can see what the correct steps and motions look like.
1. Rotary Cutting for Quilting
Although you can cut out squares for patchwork with scissors and templates, you will find it much easier to use a rotary cutter, a self-healing mat, and a quilting ruler. Learn how to use these quilting tools in this video on how to use a rotary cutter:
Now that you're an expert, try these other rotary cutter tutorials:
- How to Clean a Rotary Cutting Mat: If your rotary cutting mat got warped last time you tried to wash it, you will appreciate this tutorial on how to clean a rotary cutting mat so that it will last for years!
- Left Handed Rotary Cutting: This tutorial will show you how to use rotary cutters with your left hand, in case you need to make any tricky cuts (or, of course, if you're left-handed!)
- Mom's Fabric Cutting Guide: Tried and true tips that will make rotary cutting for quilting easy as pie!
- Basic Rotary Cutting Tutorial: Print this out for beside your cutting mat!
2. How to Sew Quilt Squares Together: Chain Piecing and Pressing
Chain piecing is the method used by many quilters to quickly and efficiently piece fabrics together for a quilt top. This method of piecing conserves thread and saves time spent starting, stopping, and clipping threads. This video by Marguerita McManus from Crazy Shortcut Quilts demonstrates how to chain piece and properly press piecework seams so that the fabric is not distorted.
Got it down? Try these other chain piecing tutorials:
- Chain Piecing and Nesting Seams: Learn how to chain piece charm squares, press seams in opposite directions, and nest seams in alternating rows for perfectly matched corners.
- Split Diamond Quilt Border: Try some fresh quilt border ideas to give a jazzy finishing touch to your next quilt!
- Baby Bear Paw: The adorable animals and soft colors of this quilt are perfect for a baby boy's crib!
- Kaleidoscope Kites Quilt: Beginner quilters will find this pattern to be invaluable in its approach to making all of the quilt blocks!
3. Applique Quilt Techniques
Applique is a common technique used as an alternative or an embellishment to patchwork. In this video from the Missouri Star Quilt Co., you will learn how to do fusible applique, the quickest and easiest applique method. Jenny Doan demonstrates how to trace applique templates onto fusible web to create iron-on appliques. This is one of our readers' favorite quilting videos for beginners, and we have plenty of applique quilt patterns for you to get started on.
Now that you're an applique master, try oen of these tutorials:
- Love from Paris Quilt: Not only is this darling French-inspired quilt made entirely out of a single jelly roll quilt pattern, it also combines piecework with an applique quilt pattern of the Eiffel Tower.
- Darling Daisies Applique Quilt: This piece is quilted using an all-over leaf design that complements the daisy appliques.
- 11 Easy Applique Quilts: Easy, printable quilt patterns to applique!
- Crow on a Berry Branch Applique: This tutorial uses freezer paper for an applique version of English paper piecing.
4. Quilting Tutorials: Hand Quilting and Machine Quilting
These two YouTube quilting videos from Fons and Porter discuss the merits of both hand quilting and machine quilting and demonstrate both methods. In the first video, Mary and Marianne Fons show how to hand quilt using a quilting hoop, a quilting needle, and a thimble. This video is especially helpful for new hand quilters who would like to see the "rocking" motion of hand quilting.
Get your hands ready to make these amazing projects:
- Modern Geometric Quilt Pattern: Contemporary quilts are all the rage!
- How to Hand Quilt Hexagons: The hexagons in this tutorial are so fun to work with, and you'll love the uniqueness that it brings to your quilt.
- Tools for Quilting By Hand: If you're just learning how to quilt by hand, you'll want to start out with all the right supplies.
- Fluffy Flannel Baby Quilt: Precious fabric patterns make for a great homemade gift at a baby shower.
In this second installment of YouTube quilting videos from Fons and Porter, Mary and Marianne Fons explain machine quilting. The segment on basting a quilt with safety pins is especially helpful for new quilters or quilters who are used to hand quilting and basting with thread. The video also demonstrates how to do straight line quilting with a walking foot.
Ready to put your new skill into action? Try one of these quilts:
- Race to the Finish Jelly Roll Quilt: This jelly roll quilt pattern only takes about an hour to put together, and then you're free to doodle free-motion designs over the top to add some flair!
- Farmer's Market Squares: This gorgeous country quilt is perfect for a toddler learning to eat healthy.
- 17 Free Motion Designs: You'll be surprised to see what beautiful designs you can achieve with your home sewing machine.
- Ragged Squares Quilt: Those ready to start working with simple rag quilt patterns should start here, as the square in a square quilt pattern is easy to piece together and familiarizes you with piecing together quilt blocks.
5. How to Bind a Quilt
Binding is often the most difficult part of making a quilt for beginners, but there's no need to fear this final step when you have helpful quilting videos for beginners to illustrate the process! In this video tutorial for quilt binding, Vanessa from The Crafty Gemini gives you a few handy tips for quilt binding, and then demonstrates how to sew the binding onto the front of the quilt, create mitered corners, and attach the binding to the back of the quilt using fusible tape.
And you're off! Try binding your next project with one of these tutorials:
- Single Fold Binding Tutorial: This step-by-step tutorials offers helpful quilt binding directions for beginners who want to understand how to properly fold and bind a quilt using less fabric.
- Scrappy Binding: Quilters with a passion for all things scrappy will love this quick and crafty approach.
- Easy Peasy Binding Tutorial: You've never read a quilt binding tutorial like this!
- How to Make Quick Bias Binding: Learn how to make bias binding with this quilt binding tutorial!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other quilters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Printable Quilting Charts
- 6 YouTube Quilting Videos for Beginners
- How to Hand Quilt Hexagons
- How to Create Flat Seam Intersections
- The Basting Trick That Will Save Your Life
- Video Tutorial: Basting Quilts with Safety Pins
- How to Square Up Quilt Blocks
- Smart Quilting Layouts
- 15 Tips for a First-Time Quilter
- Miniature Half Square Triangles
- 12 Awesome Free Quilt Patterns and Small Quilted Projects
- 14 Easy Baby Quilt Patterns for Boys and Girls
- 17 Quilting Tutorials: Quilting for Beginners and Top Tips for How to Quilt
- DIY Home Decor: How to Make Placemats and Other Easy Sewing Projects for a Country Kitchen
- Easy Quilt Patterns: 11 Applique Quilt Patterns + Quick Quilts
- How to Make a Jelly Roll Quilt: 9 Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
- How to Quilt a Bag With Style: 7 Free Bag Patterns and Purse Patterns
- Patterns for Quilting: 8 Free Quilt Block Patterns to Make a Quilt for Your Home
- Spectacular Quilt Star Patterns: How to Make a Quilt with 8 Star Quilt Block Patterns and Quilted Star Designs
- Super String Quilts: 13 Paper Piecing and Scrap Quilt Patterns
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Marsala Moment Fat Quarter Bundle
- In-Flight Jay Quilt Block
- Broken Dishes Quilt Patterns
- Shenandoah Churn Dash Quilt
- Mountain Lodge Flannel Quilt
- Handmade Christmas Quilt-Along
- Ombre Baby Quilt Pattern
- 4-Step Quilted Blanket
- Teal Appeal 16 Patch Quilt
- No-Fuss FQ Baby Quilt